This Scalloped Corn is unbelievably delicious! It’s thick and creamy, but with a silky texture. It’s loaded with cheese, and butter, and then you get the crunchy topping that just sets off this wonderful dish. You could serve this with so many things, which makes this a great side dish to serve when you need a little something to finish off a great meal.
What is scalloped corn?
No matter when I’ve made this dish, it’s always all gone by the end of the meal. It’s an old recipe that a Great Aunt used to make, and she even cut the corn off the cob. The flavors are so good, and I’ve served it with Ham, Chicken, Steaks, and Meatloaf, alongside Fried Zucchini, and Baked Beans, and Mashed Potatoes. It’s a recipe you can’t go wrong with.
The recipe is easy to make, and with just a few ingredients, you can have this dish in the oven, and prepared to feed your family or friends who are sure to love this.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe
What brand is best for this scalloped corn recipe?
While you can use any brand of Corn or Cheese you choose, I used Del Monte Corn, because it’s non-GMO, and it’s a great quality brand. I used Frigo brand Parmesan Cheese that was already shredded, and I used Cabbot Shredded White Cheddar, I used Ritz Crackers, which is Nabisco. You can use the products you choose, but these brands a tried and true!
Do I really need to use Cabot cheese? What alternatives are there?
If you have someone who is lactose intolerant, meaning they have a sensitivity, or allergy to Milk, try Lactaid brand Milk. You can find it in the dairy case at most Grocery Stores. Wal-Mart does carry it, and I try and get the fat free, or 1 % if it’s available, as the fat in the Milk is what most people cannot tolerate. The flavor in the dish won’t be changed, as Lactaid is real milk, just with the lactose removed.
How to make scalloped corn
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 9 X 13 dish.
- Open the cans of Whole Kernel Corn, and drain. Open Cans of Cream Style Corn – but DO NOT drain the Cream Style Corn
- Place all 4 cans of the Corn in the dish
- Finely chop a medium size Sweet Onion, and add to dish
- Add a teaspoon of Minced Garlic
- Add the Milk
- Add half the Butter
- Sprinkle with Garlic Salt, and Garlic Powder
- Add Sugar
- Add the Shredded Cheeses
- Add Ritz Crackers – crushed
- Add remainder of Butter slices
- Stir well, until completely blended, but try not to scrape the bottom of the dish. Smooth ingredients in dish, and add crushed Ritz Crackers all over the top of the dish. Place Butter pats on top of the crushed Crackers.
- Bake at 350 for 20 – 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown, and Corn is bubbly. Remove from oven, and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Tips for adding flavor or changing it up a little bit
You can add some heat to this dish if you prefer, by adding a can of Southwest Corn, which contains poblano peppers, and bell peppers. You can also add Bacon to the Ritz Cracker topping or throw in a few Jalapenos if you like. You can also add a couple drops of Tabasco Sauce or replace the Sugar for Brown Sugar for a more caramel like flavor. Or use Heavy Cream instead of Milk.
- 1 stick of Butter - cut into slices - about 1/2 Tablespoon slices
- 2 cans of Whole Kernel Corn
- 2 cans of Cream Style Corn
- 1 medium Sweet Onion - finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Minced Garlic
- 1 1.2 cups of Milk
- Garlic Salt, and Garlic Powder - Sprinkled - to taste
- 1 heaping Tablespoon of Sugar
- 1 cup of Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 cup of Shredded White Cheddar Cheese
- 40 Ritz Crackers - crushed - but not crushed to fine crumbs - see photo
- Start by buttering a 9 X 13 dish. Open the cans of Whole Kernel Corn, and drain the liquid. Add to dish. Open the Cream Style Corn, and add to the dish - DO NOT DRAIN THE CREAM STYLE CORN.
- Finely chop the Onion, and add to the dish. Add the Minced Garlic to the dish. Add the Milk and several slices of the Butter, and stir gently, not scrapping the bottom of the dish. Sprinkle with the Garlic Salt and the Garlic Powder - to taste.
- Add the Sugar, and stir again. Add the Shredded Parmesan, and Shredded White Cheddar Cheese, and stir gently. Add half the crushed Ritz Crackers, and stir. Smooth out the ingredients with the back of your spoon, and add the remaining Ritz Crackers to the top of the dish.
- Place the Butter slices on top of the Crushed Crackers, and place the dish in the oven at 350 degrees. Bake for 20 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown, and Corn is bubbly. Remove from oven, and let dish stand for 10 minutes before serving. Serve, and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe?
Mention us @myfamilydinnerideas or tag us using #myfamilydinnerideas so we can see your creations! You can also leave a comment below!