TEX-MEX CHICKEN AND RICE SOUP
Talk about a great soup to make on cool Fall nights, this is it! This soup is so good, and it’s full of healthy ingredients, so you can serve up a wonderful, tasty meal that your family will love. You can serve this with Tortilla chips, crackers, or cornbread, and everyone will want seconds. Trust me, make sure you put this one in your favorite’s recipe file, because it’s sure to be a favorite.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE TEX-MEX CHICKEN AND RICE SOUP:
- 1 Large Chicken Breast – approximately 1 pound
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter
- 1 1/2 cups of Rice – (I used Success Rice)
- 3 Chicken Bullion Cubes
- 1 Gallon of Filtered Water
- 1 Tablespoon of Garlic Salt
- 1 teaspoon of Seasoned Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of Seasoned Pepper
- 1 teaspoon of Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon of Taco Seasoning
- 2 teaspoons of Cumin
- 1 large sweet Onion – chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Minced Garlic
- 1 16 ounce can of Stewed Tomatoes – chopped
- 8 ounces of frozen Corn
- 1 can of Black Beans – drained
- 1 can of Green Chiles
- 1/8 cup of Taco sauce
- 1/4 cup of Brown Sugar
- Shredded Cheddar and Colby Jack Cheese – to top
- Chopped Cilantro – to top
- Tortilla Chips – to serve on the side
- 1 Large Stock Pot or Roaster
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
In the bottom of the Stock Pot, or Roaster, melt the butter, and add the Chicken Breast. Sprinkle with garlic salt, and cook until completely done (about 30 minutes). Cut the Chicken Breast in small pieces, and continue to cook until golden brown. Add the chopped onion, and saute until browned. Stir the chicken and onion together, and add the minced Garlic, Stewed Tomatoes.
With a sharp knife, cut the Stewed tomatoes into pieces. Add the frozen Corn, Black beans, Green Chiles, Taco sauce, Brown Sugar, and stir well. Add the Gallon of water, Bullion Cubes, Garlic Salt, Seasoned Salt, Seasoned Pepper, Chili Powder, Taco Seasoning, and Cumin, and stir all together to blend.
Bring to a boil, and turn heat to medium low, and let simmer for two hours. After the two hours, stir the soup, and taste to make sure soup is well seasoned. If needed, add a little more salt, Cumin, or Taco Seasoning for desired taste. Add the Rice, and cook 15 more minutes, or until Rice is done. Serve topped with Cheese, and chopped Cilantro, and Tortilla chips on the side. Enjoy!
Makes 6 to 8 servings
NOTE: I used SUCCESS RICE, because it cooks quickly. It comes in little pre-measured pouches, so to use it in the soup, simply cut the pouches open, and measure 1 1/2 cups to add to the soup, and discard the pouches.