I love making Oven baked sweet potatoes, especially on a busy weeknight, because they are an easy and nutritious side dish. There are so many topping variations to choose from, unlike like an Irish potato, you can load up a sweet potato with marshmallows and cinnamon.
What is the best temperature to bake sweet potatoes?
Sweet potatoes are best baked at 400 degrees this ensures the skins won’t burn and the inside will be fluffy when fully cooked.
Ingredients you’ll need for this recipe
What brand is best for sweet potatoes?
Normally, when I go to the grocery store, I rarely ever see a brand label on a sweet potato. I always look for Organic, locally grown sweet potatoes when possible.
Do I really need to wrap them in foil?
You can if you want to, but for this recipe I washed them, patted them dry, and baked them on a pan without foil, because I was in a hurry.
Did you know?
Sweet potatoes became present in cooking around 5,000 years ago.
How to make Oven baked sweet potatoes
- Scrub potatoes making sure to get all the dirt washed off
- Poke a few holes to let the potato vent while cooking
- Dry with paper towels
- Place on baking dish
- Bake for 45 minutes
- Slice open, fluff with fork, add butter and salt
Find the measurements and full recipe below!
Tips for adding flavor or changing it up a little bit
I love to change up the toppings on a sweet potato, you have more options for toppings than you realize. My favorite oven baked sweet potato topping is butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and mini marshmallows. This is the perfect side dish to serve when Fall rolls around and you get all the smells of a crisp Fall evening when the cinnamon and sugar heat up.
- Sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Begin by scrubbing potatoes and be sure to wash off all the dirt and spots.
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 45 minutes at 400 degrees. I always take a clean dish towel and squeeze the potatoes to check if they are soft. When they are soft they are done baking.
- Remove sweet potatoes from the oven and slice the top open. Fluff with a fork, add butter and salt.
You can add 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tablespoon butter, 1 tsp brown sugar, and 6 mini marshmallows to each potato and place under the broiler for 5 minutes until marshmallow are browned.