SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP
Sausage tortellini soup
This SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP is a wonderful hearty soup to make on a cool Fall day or chilly winter night. It’s packed with spices and flavors that blend together for a delicious bowl of healthy goodness. Serve this with some crusty garlic bread, or breadsticks, and you have a great meal everyone will love.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO MAKE SAUSAGE TORTELLINI SOUP:
- 1 pound of Italian sausage – or Kielbasa sausage – sliced in bite size pieces
- 1 large sweet onion – chopped
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1/3 cup fresh basil – chopped
- 1 small bunch of Kale – cleaned and chopped in small pieces
- 6 cups of chicken broth
- 12 cups of filtered or bottled water
- 1 can of tomato sauce – 8 ounces
- 1/2 cup of heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon of ground oregano
- 2 teaspoons of brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon of coarse ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of flour
- 1 package of cheese Tortellini – refrigerated – 8 – 12 ounces
- 2 Tablespoons of butter
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
In a large non-stick skillet, melt the butter, and add the sausage and cook over medium heat until golden brown (about 15 – 20 minutes). Add the onion, and sauté for 5 minutes.
Spoon sausage and onion into a large stock pot, and add the chicken broth, tomato sauce, and water. Add flour to skillet drippings, and stir to cook, about 2 minutes. Add to stock pot, stir and bring to a boil.
Add Italian seasoning, oregano, brown sugar, garlic salt, and pepper, and turn heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the basil, and minced garlic, and cook 10 minutes. Add the Tortellini and cook for 20 minutes. Add the Kale and cream, and cook for another 10 minutes, or until Kale is soft. Let the soup simmer for another 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir well and serve in bowls with crusty bread. Enjoy!
Make 6 – 8 servings